2013 ASTech Awards Honourees
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2013 ASTech Awards Recognize 23 Honourees Who Are Shaping Alberta’s Future
CALGARY AB, CANADA (July 23, 2013) – Today, the ASTech Foundation is proud to announce the 23 Honourees of the 2013 ASTech Awards. These highly-respected individuals, companies and teams make up an elite group of leaders who are paving the way for future innovation and technology in 13 ASTech Award categories. The Honourees will be recognized for their contributions at the 2013 ASTech Awards Gala on October 25, 2013.
The theme of this year’s ASTech Awards Gala is “Shaping the Future” and will showcase the significant impact each of the Honourees have in the development of innovation in Alberta. Representing a broad range of industries including energy, environment, agriculture and information technology, and covering the entire innovation spectrum from research to development to commercialization, the Honourees offer an inspiring breadth of fascinating stories of how they are taking innovation to new levels in their respective fields.
For 24 years, the ASTech Foundation has invited members of industry, educational institutions and government agencies to be nominated for the ASTech Awards and only the top candidates are selected as Honourees in each category.
The 2013 ASTech Foundation Honourees are:
- Mr. Matthew Benesch, University of Alberta
- Southern Alberta Technology Council, host of Canada-Wide Science Fair 2013
- Dr. Sheelagh Carpendale, University of Calgary
- Clearflow Enviro Systems Group
- Dr. Stefanie Czub, Alberta Livestock and Meat Agency Ltd.
- Ms. Megan Engel, University of Alberta
- Dr. Robert J. Fessenden, retired, Government of Alberta
- Enerkem Alberta Biofuels
- Farmers Edge Precision Consulting
- HiFi Engineering Inc.
- Dr. Igor Kovalchuk, University of Lethbridge
- Dr. Susan Lees-Miller, University of Calgary
- Dr. Brij Maini, University of Calgary
- MRF Geosystems Corporation
- Dr. Randy Mikula, Kalium Research Inc.
- Dr. David Naylor, University of Lethbridge
- Orpyx Medical Technologies Inc.
- Dr. Pere Santamaria, University of Calgary
- Dr. Dean Spaner, University of Alberta
- Dr. Gregory Taylor, University of Alberta
- Ward of the 21st Century
“Congratulations to our 2013 Honourees! Every year, I am awestruck at the caliber of the nominations we receive. From these, the judges have the difficult task of selecting those that deserve to be recognized as Honourees, and from these, the Winners will be announced at the annual gala," says Lynn Sutherland, ASTech Foundation Executive Director. “The Honourees we selected are all truly making a difference for technology and science in Alberta and I am very excited to showcase their contributions at the ASTech Awards Gala this year.”
The 2013 ASTech Awards Gala will take place on Friday, October 25, 2013 at the BMO Centre in Calgary, Alberta. For more information on the Gala, sponsorship and tickets, please visit: www.astech.ca
About the ASTech Foundation
The Alberta Science and Technology Leadership (ASTech) Foundation is a not-for-profit organization founded through an industry initiative in 1989. The ASTech Foundation was created to showcase the substantial achievements in Science & Technology in Alberta and to promote the importance of these activities to social and economic benefit. ASTech has grown with the support of patron organizations spanning major industries, academic institutions and government, all of whom recognize and celebrate excellence in science and technology in Alberta.
The ASTech Foundation’s mission is to identify and celebrate outstanding achievements in science and technology in Alberta in order to inspire future innovation and leadership. The ASTech Awards are Alberta’s highest Science and Technology honours.
For more information on the ASTech Foundation, please visit www.astech.ca or contact: